Sunday, March 29, 2009

Did someone call for maid service?

The Skirvin is located at 1 Park Avenue in the heart of Oklahoma City.  It is the home of one Oklahoma's scandalous ghost stories.  It seems that back in the 1930's a young maid was locked up in one of the top rooms because she was pregnant.  Rumor has it that Mr. W. B. Skirvin was still enjoying the fruits of his wealth and, at while in his 70's, was still a little active with the ladies.  The maid is said to have banged on the doors and screamed but no-one would let her out.  Slowly losing her mind, the only way to escape with her child was through the window.  

To this day, people claim to have encounters with Maid Effie and her infant.  Some women hear a baby crying, men are whispered to in the shower and they claim to hear her pushing her cart down the empty hallways.

One thing that intrigues me more than the story is the little bits of architecture that fail to get noticed.  There is more watching you at the Skirvin than just Effie and her infant.

The Devilish Pan figure below is all over the place, looking down on you with his wicked smile.

To take your chances and see if perhaps you too can claim to have an encounter with Effie or just to take a look at the wonderful architecture and great views, plan a night at the Skirvin.  
(405) 272-3040

For a history of the hotel visit:





2 comments:

  1. So, piggy backing on a class moderated question, would this be a date night activity? Lol. Your posts always intrigue me. I have some relatives who supposedly lived in a haunted house. I've never heard any stories about a real haunting, but my great-grandmother rigged up a chain in the attic so she could go in the kitchen and rattle it while people were visiting in the living room. The kids (my grandfather included) used to dress up like ghosts when people stayed the night and came in to scare them. They were never caught, and everyone thought the story was true. Every time I look at your blog, I think of my grandfather and his stories. Thank you. It's a good memory.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This would be a great date night activity! Hit Bricktown for some fun and then go back to the Skirvin and see if you can spot Effie wandering the halls! lol
    Sounds like you have some really fun relatives! I'd love to hear some of your grandfathers stories.
    I remember my grandparents telling me ghost stories about their house and the neighborhoods in South Carolina. Used to scare me to death sometimes but I think that's part of where my early fascination with Spooky things came from.

    ReplyDelete