Sunday, April 19, 2009

Scary Carey

In the Gatewood Historic District off of NW 23rd in Oklahoma City lies an unusual stretch of road known as Carey's Place.  The most unique homes in Oklahoma City were built here between 1931 and 1938 when the plans for a trolley car route from NW 23rd to NW 16th were scrapped.

In the early 1990's a lovely little tale was told of a young girl that attend the school the next street over.  Legend has it that a janitor from Gatewood Elementary murdered her, took her back to Carey's place and the various traits of the houses of Carey's place fueled the rumors.  Stories say the porches were painted red to cover the blood stains, the Hatchett House might have been where he left her body, but was it on one of the driveways?  Then, there are the stories about groaning playground swings that moved by themselves in the moonlight, children laughing in the darkness and cars acting a bit odd and sputtering their way over the street.  

My favorite house in this little neighborhood is actually the Hatchett House with its interesting green shutters with hatchet cutouts.  If you have a chance, drive through this short stretch of road and see how different it is from the rest of the neighborhoods in Oklahoma.  The architecture alone is worth the trip.

As for the young girl that was murdered, no evidence of any such crime has been found on record.  Since the neighborhood has only been around since the 1920's it would be easy to trace had it actually happened.  But, the thrill of taking someone new down the rickety little street with its unique homes while recounting the tale of Scary Carey is still amusing.  

7 comments:

  1. I remember I heard some story about some train tracks in okc. If you park on them little hand prints will appear as if children are trying to push you off the tracks. I forget the background story. Also, I know there is a lot going on with the boys home and hospital in Guthrie.

    http://theshadowlands.net/places/oklahoma.htm

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I had no idea. It's such a sweet little street.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just wanted to let you know I look forward to your posts every week! They are so intriguing. This one reminds me of my time in undergrad. Supposedly the room my roommate and I lived in our freshman year had been the site of a suicide, and one night some girls down the hall sat outside playing with and OUIJA board. We were asleep, but when we turned the light on, they ran. I don't know if they ever found anything in our room particular, but a trashcan broke at one point during the night. It was interesting to say the least . . .

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! I'll have to check out that street...
    My mom works at the museum here in Kingfisher, it's a museum and territorial governor's mansion, and ghost hunters (I'm sure there's a better name than that)are coming in May to spend the night in the mansion and look for paranormal activity... If there is any I'll let you know! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heather - I'll have to do the next blog for you. I have some info on both of those.
    Katie - I just watch a show the other night where there was a Dorm room that had a fire and a young lady died there. When they fixed the room back up and put a new door on it, a few days later the door looked charred in the image of a girls face. They replaced the door several times and now just leave it off and don't use it as a dorm room anymore. Freaky!!
    Smegs-Keep me posted! My friend had them come to her house and she said it was amazing. Her son had been complaining about someone or something in his room at night and they came to investigate. It was actually the electrical wiring behind his bed that was causing him to have hallucinations. She changed where his bed was positioned and he was fine after that. I can't wait to hear what they have to say about the museum!
    jennifer - I love that street and would love to live in one of those houses. They are so cute! Even with the ghost stories! =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Train Tracks are in Tulsa. It says that 4 kids were playing chicken in front of a train and all 4 were killed. Their ghosts push your car over the track and leave dirty hand prints behind. There's similar story in San Antonio. I couldn't find the exact location of the tracks though. Might have to dig some more.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had always heard that the Carey Place girl drowned, and it was simply an accidental death - but that she haunts the place anyway. I used to party in that neighborhood alot because I knew some girls who lived there, and it was always spooky, but we never really saw anything.

    ReplyDelete